Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Best Day: January

It's a toss up. Bookends round out the month. January first found me in Taos riding up a chair lift on a day with a high temperature of five degrees. It was biting cold. At one point I had to stop skiing when I started to loose feeling in my toes and fingertips. However I was skiing under otherwise pristine conditions. It had dumped nearly fifteen inches of snow the two days before and Taos is what Taos always is when the conditions are good: great. Ordinarily I would say a day like this would be a lock for a best day.

However last Sunday sort of slipped in and stole the month. The day started early. My wife was running a half marathon and I was charged with getting her an early breakfast and primed for her long run. Ordinarily you won't find me out of bed before 7am. My biorhythms just aren't synced up that early and I typically try to avoid the early mornings. But I wanted to help see her out the door to start her run. She didn't ask for much, a simple breakfast of toast topped with peanut butter, bananas and honey and that was within my culinary capacity, so I obliged and she was off. Next I woke up my boy Fischer, stuffed a pop tart in him and we headed off to stand by my friend Ian and his Bicycles Outback rest stop where they were serving Shiner at thirsty runners. Fischer and I waited there for Kristi to pass by. Making good time she passed by (Fischer cried when she kept running) and we then headed downtown to try and catch her at the finish.

We made it, she finished in under two hours and we had a great time hanging out at the finish line and then headed home. Oh yeah it was like 70 degrees all day too. Later that day I got in an amazing bike ride with two good friends and then fired up my big green egg for some wood fired pizzas and beer with some good friends to round out the day. It was indeed the best day.

No comments: